Sunday, 20 February 2011

BODY IN CANAL A body found in the Erewash Canal at Trent Lock on Sunday February 6th has been identified as Sharon Beckerson, 49, of Goodwood Drive, Alvaston. Mrs Beckerson, who had not been seen since Friday January 7th, had been suffering from depression. Her body was discovered at 3pm by three young girls who were feeding the ducks. They alerted a passing dog walker who called the police. Her husband, Geoff, who works at Rolls Royce, was the last person to see her when he left for work at 7.30am. A team of detectives had searched the River Derwent and retraced the bus journey she made on the day she disappeared. One of the team, DC Tony Owen said: "I would like to thank everyone who helped us with our inquiry. We received many phone calls during the four weeks since Sharon disappeared from people offering information or reporting sightings." Dental records were used to identified the body. The inquest was adjourned pending further enquiries.

SMOKER FINED Another Long Eaton resident has found that smoking can damage your wealth. Shamsher Sahota, 46, was spotted dropping a cigarette end by an Erewash Borough Council warden near Aldi on Cross Street, Long Eaton. He was given a £75 fixed penalty ticket for the offence on September 10th but failed to pay. Mr Sahota, of Chesterfield Road, Long Eaton, failed to attend the hearing and was found guilty in his absence. Ilkeston Magistrates fined him £100, with £150 costs and a £15 Government surcharge.

NEW STORE A new Sainsbury's store is to be built on the former petrol station site on the corner of Cedar Avenue and Tamworth Road. They will be able to sell alcohol every day from 7am until 11pm after their application was approved at a meeting of the council's licensing and protection panel .They originally asked for the option to sell until midnight. Six local residents wrote to Erewash Borough Council to object to the plans.

LONG EATON FIRES Firemen were called to a blaze in a skip on Acton Road, Long Eaton, at 5.30am on Friday February 4th. The cause is not known. No one was hurt. There were a further two fires on Monday February 7th. The first was at Thirlmere Road, at 3.40pm when a fire started in the kitchen after a pan was left unattended. The second occurred when a fire started in an extractor fan at a house in Wilsthorpe Road at around at 8.40pm.


A fund raising event in memory of Sean Large RIP was held at Brennans on Regent Street on January 22nd. The charity evening which included music, raffle and an auction raised £1570 for Treetops Hospice and the Nottingham Cardiac Group. The event was organised by Richard and Hazel, Michael and Donna Large and Jim and Anne Brennan. They would like to thank all those who donated cash and prizes for the raffle and auction, everyone who helped on the night and all the people who attended and made the event such a huge success.