Thursday, 28 April 2011

Tamworth Road is to close from the Green to Friar Street for resurfacing work. The work will be carried out every night from Monday - Friday between 7pm and midnight starting on Monday May 2nd. Diversions will be in place along Derby Road, Wilsthorpe Road and Tamworth Road. The road is due to re-open on June 6th but the council say that work may be finished earlier.

With regret we are sorry to inform all our Patrons that our next production scheduled for May 12th- 14th. Prepare to meet thy Tomb due to unforeseen circumstances, as had to be postponed.

A resident on Oakland Avenue heard a screaming noise in the street at around 9.15 on Saturday morning, April 23rd, and dashed out to investigate. Two Staffordshire bull terriers were running up the road one had a cat in its mouth. After dropping their quarry they ran off down Tamworth Road. The woman took the cat to Ashfield House Vets on Derby Road but it was dead when they arrived. Neither dog was wearing a collar. She phoned the RSPCA who advised her to ring the police.The police took down the details and gave her an incident number. She then rang the council dog warden but they said they could do nothing without more details. Another concerned resident told the Extra that she had seen the two dogs in the street before and she thought they lived somewhere on Tamworth Road. She said, “People should be aware, next time it could been a toddler and not a cat.” 

A resident at The Grange Residential Home, in Bostocks Lane, Sandiacre celebrated her 100th birthday on Monday April 18th. Grace Gooding has been at the home for six years, since her husband died, and her birthday corresponded with the opening of a new wing at the home. Barrie and Jo-Ann Chambers who bought the Grange last year have spent £230,000 on improvements which included the new wing which will now enable them to offer 36 beds.

A Long Eaton woman who was missing for five days has returned home safely. Michelle Roe (37) and her teenage daughter left their Tamworth Road home on Monday April 11th and caught the train to Nottingham. They parted at around 5.30pm and Mrs Roe was not seen again until she returned home on Sunday April 17th. Police had grown concerned and had appealed for information about her whereabouts.