|Picture by Simon English 'The Tappers Harker'|
The Flying Scotsman passed through Long Eaton on Saturday 4th June. Along the route hundreds lined bridges, footpaths and station platforms, to watch the famous locomotive steam by. Despite running an hour late landlord Simon English took the above picture near his pub The Tappers Harker.
The engine, designed by Netherseal's Sir Nigel Gresley, has undergone a £4.2 million 10 year refit. The Flying Scotsman retired from service in 1963. The locomotive cost £8,000 to build in 1922. It became the first non-stop train between Edinburgh and London in 1928, completing the journey in eight hours, and became a legend in 1934 when it became the first locomotive to reach 100mph.
The National Railway Museum bought the cultural icon in 2004. Four years ago the restored engine had been due to return to the National Railway Museum but it was delayed after cracks were found in the chassis. It will go on display at the National Railway Museum, York, which commissioned the restoration.