Sunday, 31 July 2016

SIGN OF THE TIMES

A small number of historic cast iron street name signs have been restored by Erewash Borough Council and re-fixed onto buildings in the borough. The signs have been refurbished as part of an ongoing programme to restore and preserve original street signs in and around our town centres. The council has reinstated the first batch of refurbished historic cast iron street name signs to buildings in the borough together with a street sign found by a local resident in his back garden who kindly refurbished the Gibb Street sign at his own expense.

Many of the signs, which date back to the 1900’s or earlier, were attached to private buildings and permission to remove and restore them had to be sought from the property owner before any work could be undertaken. Councillor Michael Powell , Erewash Borough Council’s Lead Member for Regeneration and Planning, says:
“We are delighted to have restored and reinstated these historic street signs and are extremely grateful to the local
resident for restoring the Gibb Street sign to its former glory. It is the council’s policy to always retain street name signs that have historic importance to the borough and will continue to do so with the help of property owners.”
 
If anyone has a cast iron street name sign attached to their property that is in poor condition, they are asked to email the Green Space & Street Scene Team at
parks@erewash.gov.uk and provide a photo of the sign so that it can be considered for refurbishment. A consent form will then be forwarded.